Spring Ride to Calgary

Go down

Spring Ride to Calgary

Post by Dylan on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:30 am

A friend from Calgary is interested in doing a group ride to Calgary, from Vancouver this spring. She's hoping to bring a group of people and wanted to know if we're interested in joining.

Depending on the route we take, it will be between 1000 and 1200 km from UBC to U of C.

Date is as yet unknown, but will be based on when the most people can do it.

I'd like to have a support van to carry our shit, and then drive us back to Vancouver.

Unless you feel like paying for hotels, we'll be camping.

Let me know if you're interested and we can get some more details going.

Dylan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring Ride to Calgary

Post by kellenkjera on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:52 am

That would be kick ass!!! I think I'm in! Smile

kellenkjera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NavidR on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Great Idea! That makes 3 of us

NavidR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeckseder on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 am

this sounds super sweet...about how many days/how long do you think it will take? a week? depending on the timing, Kory and I might be in too...

kbeckseder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:22 pm

I am not too sure how long it would be. We'd have to make a group decision on what pace we want to set and what route we want to take. The lowest we could reasonably push would be 4 days, but I'm not super stoked on riding the trans-canada or trying to set 300+k/day. The max would be a week. I'd like to take BC-3 or Yellowhead/BC-5 in which case 5 days is +/- 240k/day and 5.5 would be +/-220/day. The drive back would be a full day, or a full night.

Dylan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vgilbert on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 pm

This sounds awesome! I'm definitely interested. When you say spring are you thinking around the time school is out at the end of April or sometime after that?

vgilbert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 am

I just heard from Shannon, she was thinking June 26-July 3. This is NOT set in stone and we can change it. This way, we're gone over Canada day, so those of us with jobs only have to take 4 days off. I would like to be in Calgary no later than July 2 (Saturday) so that we can drive back on Sunday and not have to take Monday off.

I know that some people were wondering about doing it earlier, before summer jobs start. The earliest I think we can do it, without guarenteeing ourselves shite weather would be Victoria Day long weekend, but even then we may get snow on some of the higher passes.

This schedule would give us more time than I had originally thought, so we'd be covering <200k/day, if that makes anyone feel better (or worse?) about the idea.

Dylan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vgilbert on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:06 pm

I think it makes sense to take advantage of the Canada Day Holiday! And I definitely think it makes more sense to do it at the beginning of the summer rather then in the Spring weather wise. I'll be on a Co-op work term in the summer, and taking time off is frowned upon, so the less days I have to take off work the better.

Meaning that if we decided to take less days and rode over 200km a day I could handle that. I'd also be interested in camping because thats so much cheaper then hotels!!

vgilbert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down